Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

It's Just a Chicken Coop

We aren't sure who came up with the idea, but we have decided to raise chickens! I've read all I can and have even created Pinterest boards on Coops and Chickens so I guess that makes it "official". We have already raised quail, puppies, kittens, and two daughters so it can't be that hard, right?  We have even watched the movie  The Egg and I  more times than I am willing to admit.

                                       First things first ...we had to Name the Chickens.
               Yes,we are counting our chickens before they are hatched, but how much fun is this?



Next- The Coop! 

This is where the adventure really began. We researched and looked at multiple Coop ideas and finally my brave hubby decided he could figure it out without us spending a fortune on Coop kits or expensive plans. My job was self-appointed  "Quality Control / Supervisor" but I admit he did all the work. He kept saying he wasn't a carpenter, but he couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. He has done an awesome job!  His favorite phrase has become "It's just a chicken coop".  



HOME DEPOT has always been one our favorite stores. We made frequent visits during this project. This was the beginning of many loads of lumber and other materials. Hubby ended up having to buy a new nail gun and staple gun during the process. 
Hmmmm... A bit convenient, huh? 






Ahh, the base of the coop . I've been teased by my Son-in -Law that this is where the dead chickens will fall. Our first goal is that there will be no dead chickens before their time!





Everything is starting to shape up. We had to have a window and a door of course. 







Love the nesting box so that we can reach in and pick up ALL the eggs our chickens will lay (how is that for positive thinking?)



I am really getting excited now and am so proud of how creative my hubby has been . This is more wonderful than I ever imagined .





My designer daughter ( and Crimson Tide grad) selected the colors for the house and plans on adding a window box as a finishing touch!  See the weathervane? That is my final touch! It is perfect. We covered the bottom of the coop and the run with  1/2 inch hardware cloth (which I had never heard of).






It is finished!! I am so happy. Now we are ready for chickens!







Chickens aren't even here yet and we have already have a snake at the coop. This is not cool!
We have worked hard to make the chickens a safe place so hopefully the critters will leave them alone. 

I hope to be able to introduce "the girls" soon. Stay tuned :)


3 comments:

  1. Cheryl: I love your blog and keeping up with the chicks. Can't wait to see them in person and bring them a treat Christmas ! HA

    LOVE PAT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl,
    You did a great job on this blog! Keep the updates coming. Tell Conrad he did a great job and if I ever get into raising chickens I will call him. Master Chicken Coop Builder that he is! All of you did a great job on the Chicken Mansion!
    Love you guys,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete