Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Under the Magnolia Tree

Call me crazy, but I have always felt that all Southern homes should  have at least one magnolia tree. Despite the hundreds of oaks, hickory , and dogwood surrounding us, there was not a magnolia in sight! That is,until recently.  On Mother's Day, hubby surprised me with 2 beautiful magnolias ! We found the perfect spot in the backyard so that they could have plenty of sunlight and room to grow...dug the holes..and now we just watch them grow.

I imagine these two beautiful trees towering over the back yard and being enjoyed by my children and grandchildren for years to come. I am already planning my Christmas mantle and table adorned with the big beautiful leaves. How pretty would a wedding or garden party be under a  big, blooming magnolia ? 

                                               

     Under the Magnolia Tree

Under the Magnolia tree my daughters and I
Warmed by the sun in the southern sky
With our big floppy hats and sipping our tea
For this moment  today, fine ladies are we.
Lace napkins on our laps and Granny's tea cakes
A string of pearls and that's all it takes.


So, barefoot and laughing you'll find us three
Wrapped in  the arms of our lovely tree.
                                                                  cm


The first tree goes in ...

Boo was trying to help plant the the second tree. 











Our first blossom :)



Until next time..


3 comments:

  1. love it!! You are right, when I think of a southern home...I think of that shady magnolia tree. I think about the beautiful one that was in front of Grandma and Grandpa's house in Coosada. I have wonderful memories of climbing that tree in the summers.

    I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
    ~Shelby Latcherie

    Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!
    ~Clairee Belcher

    xoxo- April Gaydosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Magnolia tree. Can't really have them here in Central Illinois, but loved them when we lived in the South. I'm giddy I got a rose tree (not bush) for Mother's Day! With our very cold winter winds I'll be babying it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl: I love them toooooo. Magnolia Trees and Gardenia Bushes--my favorites (of course, can't leave out Roses)--YELLOW! You have such a beautiful place-I know those trees will be an added and welcomed blessing. I can't wait to see yall again-it is too far between visits--I love my sis though.

    Love ya , PAT

    ReplyDelete